The story so far

I PACKED THIS MYSELF is a project working with migrant workers and local communities in Cornwall, which started in 2006. The aim: to break down prejudice and increase understanding



Friday 16 March 2012

Worklessness: a definition

I've mentioned the term 'worklessness' to people a few times recently (as I started to hear the word when we embarked on work with migrant workers in Cornwall). It's been surprising to find that it's not a familiar term to anyone outside the employment sector. The word has been buzzing around my mind ever since I first heard it. Here's a definition I found with Google's trusty assistance:

Worklessness is a less familiar term than unemployment to describe those who are economically inactive. The economically inactive are people of working age who are not working, not in full-time education or training and are not actively seeking work.
Source: http://www.idea.gov.uk/